
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Jerry Seinfeld continued to turn honey into money as his animated comedy "Bee Movie" buzzed to the top of the box office in its second weekend.
The DreamWorks-Paramount flick packed in family crowds to pull in $26 million this weekend. The movie debuted at number two behind "American Gangster" the previous weekend.
"American Gangster," starring Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe, was a strong second with $24.3 million.
A box office analyst says it's rare to see a movie start off second only to move to the top.
I saw the gangster this morning, it was, ok. I was a little disappointed. With the likes of Scott at the helm and Denzel and Crowe going at each other, I thought this flick woulda had a little more bite.
Seems they thought they had an epic on their hands, (at 2 1/2 hours) but,
this was merely just yet another also-ran.
2 of Hollywood's biggest cultural icons - Santa Claus and Tom Cruise - had to settle for also-ran debuts.
"Fred Claus," starring Vince Vaughn opened at number three with $19.2 million. Cruise's "Lions for Lambs," premiered at number four with $6.7 million.